The ServiceNow platform allows you to develop custom applications to meet your business needs. You must have the admin role to develop custom applications. The application development process has changed significantly from prior releases.
Application Development Process
Follow this basic process to create custom applications.
- Define the business requirements.Determine the problem you want to solve and how the application meets that need. Answer the questions:
- What does the application need to do?
- Who will use it?
- How will you know if it works?
- Define the data model.Identify general categories of information you need to track.
- What data is being captured?
- What tables are required, and how will they reference each other?
- What changes do you anticipate later, and does your data model scale to meet these changes?
- Build the application.
- Select an application creation methodto create a custom application record and set the application scope.
- Create application data tablesto store application-specific data.
- Design the user interface, such as the list and form layout.
- Set application access settingsto permit or restrict other applications from accessing application data.
- Add business logic and automationsuch as business rules, UI policies, notifications, and workflows, to meet your business requirements.
- Test the application.Locate the application in the navigator and make sure it works as you expect. Engage users early in the testing process. Document their feedback and make sure they are satisfied before moving to the next step.
- Share the application.When it passes testing, you can share the application with other instances by one of these methods.
- Publishthe application to the ServiceNow application repository to share it with other other instances assigned to the same company.
- Publishthe application to the ServiceNow Store to share it with everyone.
- Publishthe application as an update set to comply with a change management or backup policy.
- Pushthe application to other instances in the team development environment.
Application Creation Options
To start creating an application, navigate to System Applications > Applications and click New. Select one of the available options.
- Start from scratch
- Create custom application
- Start from a template
- Start from an existing service(available only when the Service Creator plugin is activated)
- Start from global(available only when a system property is set)
After you create an application, it appears on the applications list (System Applications > Applications) and is set as the current application in the application picker.
Source: BuildFire & PaychexWorx